New Year’s Fun Facts
- The first New Year’s celebrations dates back 4,000 years.
- 45% of Americans make New Year’s resolutions.
- Be sure to ear leafy greens on New Year’s because it will bring you prosperity.
- Many people bring in the New Year by popping open a bottle of champagne.
- About 1 million gather in New York City’s Times Square to watch the ball drop.
- According to statistics, vehicles are stolen on New Year’s Day more than any other day.
- The traditional New Year’s song “Auld Lang Syne,” means, “times gone by.”
- In Italy, people wear red underwear on New Year’s Day to bring good luck all year long.
- Chinese New Year is celebrated the second full moon after the winter solstice.
- Jewish New Year is called Rosh Hashanah and apples and honey are eaten.
- In ancient Rome, the new year began on March 1.