Christmas Fun Facts
- U.S. scientist calculated that Santa would have to visit 822 homes per second to deliver all the world’s presents on Christmas eve, traveling at 650 miles a second.
- Nearly 60 million Christmas trees are grown each year in Europe.
- This abbreviation – Xmas – is not irreligious. The letter X is a Greek abbreviation for Christ.
- The world’s tallest Christmas tree at 221 feet high was erected in a Washington shopping mall in 1950.
- The Beatles hold the record for the most Christmas No. 1 singles, topping the charts in 1963, 1965 and 1967.
- Electric tree lights were invented by Edward Johnson in the U.S. in 1882.
- One town in Indiana is called Santa Claus. There is also a Santa, Idaho.
- The popular song Jingle Bells was actually written for Thanksgiving. It was written by James Pierpont and was orginally called “One Horse Open Sleigh.”
- Alabama was the first state to recognize Christmas as an official holiday that began in 1836.
- In the U.S., trash from wrapping paper and shopping bags totals 4 million tons.
- The U.S. postal service delivers 20 billion cards and packages between Thanksgiving and Christmas.